Winterizing Your Storage Unit
Kelowna Self-Storage: Winterizing Your Storage Unit
Our location on the beautiful shores of Okanagan Lake means Kelowna storage units are subject to low winter temperatures — most days averaging from 20-30 degrees Fahrenheit.
That’s why at Airport Village self-storage, we offer fully climate-controlled units, but there are still many ways you can prep your Kelowna self-storage items and parked vehicles for the winter weather.
Winterizing Your Storage
Even in a climate-controlled unit like those at our Kelowna storage facility, there are steps you can take to ensure your items stay in the best condition:
- Line storage containers with a cotton sheet or acid-free tissue paper to prevent discoloration or staining from prolonged contact with boxes or plastic.
- Roll clothes instead of folding to prevent deep creases.
- Keep wheels on strollers or bicycles inflated and hang them to keep the weight off of the tires. This can mitigate the effects of moisture over time.
- For items like lawnmowers and small engine equipment, remove fuel before storing. Fuel breaks down over time and in cooler temperatures. Top off or change the oil to prevent corrosion.
If you are storing a parked vehicle during the winter months, keep the following in mind:
- Clean the vehicle before storing it. An exterior that is dry, waxed and covered withstands cold temperatures best.
- Fill up the fuel tank with high-octane, low-ethanol fuel. Less empty air in the tank means less chance for moisture to cause rust.
- Add a few extra pounds of tire pressure, and monitor pressure through the winter season.
- Change the oil before parking.
Get Started with Airport Village Self Storage
If you’re looking for Kelowna self-storage, look no further. Our expert staff members are available to help you find the right storage unit size for your needs and answer any questions. Contact us today!